How to apply carpet protection film properly
During house furnishing, exhibition and stages set up and painting jobs, carpet protection films are widely used to shield the floor against damage, abrasion and paint overspray. In this article, we take a look at how applying this product properly.
The first thing to do before starting to apply the product is to choose the right carpet protection film for your needs. Do you need short-term or long-term protection? Are you just going to paint or you’ll have to move objects and furniture elements around?
Depending on the answer to these questions, we recommend to choose:
- A low tack carpet protection film for short-term applications, especially on delicate carpets
- A multi-purpose protection film for generic short-term or mid-term applications
- A heavy duty carpet protection film for short-term or mid-term applications in critical conditions
Once you’ve chosen the right film for your needs, you can start to unwind and apply it on the desired surface. Let’s see how to do that in the best way:
- Stick the end of the roll at the edge of the carpet with a soft pressure, then simply unwind and roll it across the carpet. Make sure to unroll it with a steady, slow movement so to ensure regular adhesion to the underlying surface.
- While unwinding the film, keep pressing it on the floor with your hand, so to guarantee better adhesion.
- Cut the film as you reach the opposite edge of the carpet, and repeat the application until the entire carpet is covered.
- Make sure to overlap the edges of the stripes of carpet protection film, so to leave no fissures through which dirt or paint can filter.
Now you’re done: you can start your job without fearing to ruin the carpet. When you are finished, just remove the film pulling it with your hands: the best products are engineered to not leave adhesive residue upon removal.
PPM Industries carpet protection films
PPM Industries distributes a range of carpet protection films for use in sectors such as: DIY painting and decoration, automotive industry, building and renovation, staging and exhibition set up. With our range, we cover all the needs for professional surface and carpet protection, with different products for specific applications. In particular:
- PPM 1007/2 is a polyolefin protection film with low tack
- PPM 1004 is a polyethylene protection film for multi-purpose applications
- PPM 1009 is a polyethylene carpet protection film for heavy duty applications
Specific protective films are also available for other professional applications.